I am constantly wanting to update and improve our home. It’s been a work in progress ever since we purchased it almost 5 years ago. Our starter home is small and it needed and still needs a lot of improvements. Since we don’t have a budget to completely remodel the house we’ve been making small updates room by room as we have time and money. When I get the itch to redecorate in between home improvement projects I look for easy home decor updates I can do to satisfy my urge for change.
Since fall is coming up quickly, I thought I’d share some tips for easy home decor updates for fall that you can do now with minimal spending. I always wait for sales to purchase home decor items because that’s the best way to extend my budget and make the biggest impact. I try and find pieces that help tie together our unique styles and without cluttering our space, make it feel more like a warm and welcoming home. Below are my home decor tips along with some pieces I’ve been eyeing that are currently on sale during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale.
1. Update your light fixtures. While lighting isn’t always inexpensive new light fixtures can make a dramatic difference in the look and feel of your home. Updating your bedside lights will have a greater impact than replacing your overhead lighting in a bedroom. Where as in the living room or dining room a nice new pendant light or chandelier can make a big impact.
2. Swapping out your throw pillows. Justin complains about the number of throw pillows we have stored away but I’m always trying to remind him that we have them for different times of year. For fall consider adding some rich neutral throw pillows with different textures and patterns to freshen up your space.
3. Layer in some new decor pieces. I like having some gold accents around our home, either on the walls or as tabletop decor. If you have a fireplace mantel that’s another great place to layer in some new smaller decor pieces that will transform that area of the room making it feel updated.
4. Consider adding a throw blanket to your sofa or armchairs. I love how a throw blanket draped over the back of your sofa can immediately warm up a space. Throw blankets are also super cozy and perfect for the cooler months when you want to curl up and watch a movie.
5. Update your window coverings. Getting some new curtains or blinds is a great way to make your home feel updated. You can softening a room up with sheer curtains that you can layer over your blinds if you’re not in the market to replace them.
6. Add to or start a new gallery wall. I love building on our gallery wall in our living room/dining room. I’m always on the hunt for new pieces that will work well with what we already have. Getting new picture frames or even small prints can breath new life into that space. Consider printing some of your recent travel pics or update your family portraits with more recent ones.
7. Find a new area rug or layer a small rug over an existing one to add texture and warmth. I love our sheepskin rug which we have layered over a larger low pile area rug in Mason’s room. It makes his room feel so cozy and inviting. We also have a larger sheepskin rug in our bedroom which softens the hardwood floors.
8. Update your bedding. This is another great way to really make your room feel freshened up. I love getting new bedding especially right before fall. I think maybe because we refreshed so much of our home, including our bedding before Mason was born and now we’re on the schedule of getting new sheets, pillows, and comforters around this time every year.
9. Find a new scent for your home. Candles and aromatherapy diffusers are a great way to softly infuse a new scent into your home. I love having scented candles around. I always have one in my bathroom and another out in our living room by the fireplace. Not only for looks but I also love the ambiance of a burning candle.
I hope you found my tips for easy home decor updates for fall useful! Let me know what types of home decor you like shopping for and if you’re like me and always wanting to redecorate!!
Shop my favorite home decor on sale:
Shop my favorite Lili Alessandra on sale:
And now for the giveaway!!
Thank you for stopping by the blog today!