Being a full time mom and trying to run a full time online business (ie this blog) is no easy task. I find it very challenging juggling mom life and work life. Especially since I’m working from home trying to fit in as much as I can in a limited amount of time. I want to be 100% present during the day with Mason but I always feel the pull to check my email, social media, influencer networks, pitch brand collaborations, etc. After realizing it was going to be impossible to do both at the same time (efficiently), I’ve figured out a few ways to help myself “balance” it all.
How to Find Balance Between Mom Life and Work Life
1. Set aside time to work. Mason hasn’t started preschool just yet, he will be starting next week! Still can’t believe my little baby turns 2 on Wednesday! Up until now, I’ve tried to carve out time for work before he wakes up, during Mason’s nap time/s (depending on the day), and after he’s gone to bed for the night. When Justin is home from his shifts, he’ll also take him for some daddy son time and I’ll get some alone time to focus on my work as well.
2. Give yourself some grace. Remember you can’t do everything or be everywhere, so don’t beat yourself up over it. I of course want to do all the things but I’m learning to say no more and not overextend or overpromise. If it works out that I am able to attend an event or launch party I’m excited but if Im not I remind myself this won’t be the last time I get invited to something.
3. Make time for “me time”. It’s hard enough to juggle mom life and work life but it’s so important to schedule in time to just relax. I try and have a little “me time” at the end of the night right after Justin goes to bed before I start working on the blog. Even if it’s just for 30 minutes it’s so nice to relax and unwind. PS I wrote a post all about ways that I like to get “me time” here, in case you want to read.
4. Ask for help. I reach out to my mom and mother-in-law often for help. They are more than happy to have some time with their grandson and that allows me some extra time to take care of things I need to do, be it for the house or work. Just because I am a mom full time and working on growing my business full time, the other work at home doesn’t just take care of itself. I get so much more of that work done when Mason is in the care of one of them as opposed to trying to work around him.
5. Include them whenever you can. I absolutely love taking on collaborations that involve Mason. It’s one great way that I can work and spend time with Mason. He travels so well that earlier this summer to took him along for a quick weekend trip to Arizona. It was way too hot for him which did make shooting a collaboration a little more tricky but the shots we captured were well worth it and Mason was handsomely rewarded with an extended pool session post shoot and staying up way past his bedtime with mama in our hotel room.
If you’re a working mom I’d love to know what tips you have for mom life, work life balance!
PS I’m linking up with Caitlin today for this post – go read her take on working from home and juggling mom life with her two girls and blogger life here!
As always, thank you so much for stopping by the blog today!
Photos by: Erica and Jon.