I’m just gonna come out and say that I am an over packer. I can’t help myself! I need to have options even if I’m only going away for a weekend to make sure that if I change my mind or am not feeling a specific outfit I packed that I’m not stuck having to wear something I’m not feeling. So while I’m not going to be able to give tips to help the over packer learn how to pack less I will be able to help you pack efficiently so that you’ve got options even without your entire closet at your fingertips.
Now first thing is depending on your weekend destination the items you pack will obviously be different. So if you’re headed to wine country, you’ll be packing something completely different than if you’re headed to the beach, or the mountains in winter. So I’m going to try and generalize a little bit so that this post is laying the groundwork for your weekend getaway pack list!
What to Pack for a Weekend Getaway
1. Basic t-shirt: I always pack a basic v-neck t-shirt with me on any trip I go on. I know I can dress it up or wear it casually during the day. I always go with a neutral color so that it will go with anything else that I’ve packed.
2. Two blouses: Since I love options I like to pack two different blouses one that can be worn with jeans if I’m feeling a little more fancy than my basic t-shirt and another that’s more dressy in case I’m not in the mood to wear a dress or the weather doesn’t cooperate and is too cold for the other pieces I packed for going out at night for dinner and drinks.
3. A pair of jeans: I never leave the house for a trip without a pair of jeans. I typically like to travel in my denim or a comfy pair of sweats that are stylish enough to wear out of the house.
4. A pair of shorts: In case the weather is warm enough during the day I always like to pack a pair of shorts in my weekend bag. If the weather is in-between I’ll totally wear my shorts with a long sleeve blouse so that I’ve got my bases covered.
5. Daytime dress: I always pack a dress that I can wear during the day for say a nice brunch or lunch out with family. Something that looks just as good with sandals as it does with heels. Again, all about the options to fit with my mood of the moment.
6. Dinner/Cocktail dress: With a weekend getaway you typically have at least one fancy dinner or maybe your getaway is for a specific event…in that case you might be packing a more specific dress and items to coordinate.
7. Comfortable shoes: You’re probably going to be doing a little bit of exploring during the day and so being on your feet for long periods of time is inevitable (in case your getaway is to a beach resort where you plan on relaxing the entire time). So I always bring a pair of comfortable shoes for me to walk in like cute sneakers or flats and a pair of my favorite sandals.
8. Heels: This is wear I have trouble. I love my heels!! I have so many pairs and I can never decide on which pairs to pack. I like to select neutral heels so that if I change my mind on my outfit I’m not left feeling like I don’t have a pair of heels to wear out. I tend to pack anywhere from 2-3 pairs with me for a weekend. This last trip I opted for a pair of suede peep-toe booties (I own them in two colors) and my tan chunky heels that have an ankle strap. I knew either of these pairs would work with the dresses I packed as well as my jeans and top options.
9. Jewelry: Overpacking on jewelry I think is totally ok, especially because it takes up very little room. Jewelry is a great way to dress up and change up your looks. So it you are good at packing light clothing wise you can make changes to your looks with the jewelry. To get more specific with jewelry, I like to pack at least two pairs of statement earrings (typically I end up packing 3-4), two delicate necklaces that can work with the earrings, and a few sets of bracelets.
10. Swimsuits: Two days, two swimsuits. Again, they don’t take up much space at all in your weekend bag so might as well have a different suit on each day. I’m all about one-pieces and high waist bikini sets. I love mixing and matching my suits so I often buy separates. Target has been killing it lately, as I’m sure you’ve heard me say many times now, so you can go budget and buy some super cute ones from there or splurge on one of these swim brands I am loving right now: Isabelle Rose, Becca.
11. Toiletries: Of course you cannot forget your toiletries. This is so specific to each person as far as what you can’t leave the house without. Maybe you’re a face mask fanatic so you’d definitely include one on your toiletries bag. I can’t leave the house without all my skincare products which include, face serums, moisturizers, lavender tonic water, and under eye cream. And of course, I don’t forget my makeup or hair products to keep myself looking 100!
12. Jammies: I hope I don’t gross anyone out by this but if my weekend getaway is two nights (Friday and Saturday) I usually only pack one pair of jammies and wear them both nights. As long as you don’t lounge in them half the day I don’t have a problem wearing them again. And when I’m on a mini vacation, I don’t spend much time lounging in the room anyway. I want to get out and explore. Or if it’s a leisurely kind of trip, I’m all about lounging by the beach or pool as opposed to being inside my room.
I feel like I’ve got all the bases covered but let me know if I forgot anything important! Obvi, socks and undies need to be packed as well but I figure that’s a total given and didn’t need to be mentioned but then again here I am mentioning it anyway.
Shop the products in my pack list: