As you could tell from my blog and social media accounts I am not attending NYFW this season. I’m skipping the cold and staying home with Mason who just turned five months yesterday. My plan is to be back at fashion week this upcoming September for the spring/summer show. I’m already logistically starting to plan to see how I’m going to do it, if I’m going to take Mason with me and have someone come along to watch him while I’m at the shows or if I’m going to leave him at home with Justin and just go for a long weekend (that will be the longest I will be away from him as all the trips we are planning this summer are for the whole family). But just because I’m not in New York doesn’t mean I haven’t been keeping up with all the shows! I’ve been watching them live stream (if I can) or checking them out in the evening once Mason is asleep. I’ve been fantasizing about what I would bring with me if I was attending NYFW this season so I decided to pull together a NYFW pack list in partnership with The RealReal so you all can see what types of pieces to pack if you’re headed to the shows and want to get photographed while you’re there.
1. Statement coat: Since it’s winter and freezing as all get up you’re pretty much going to be out where the street style photographers are in a coat and/or at least many layers so an eye catching coat is a must if you want to attract their attention and have them wanting to take a picture.
2. It bag: An “it” bag is another piece you definitely have to pack and I suggest packing a number of them. One to go with each outfit! You can always use the same bag more than once but a good statement bag will always bring you a little attention. Just remember, it’s fashion week so there’s no bag too much for your outfit. The Fendi Dotcom “it” bag is high on my list and this one is extra special because of the color and quilted pattern.
3. Statement shoe: After attending NYFW for a number of seasons I have come to realize that you don’t have to wear sky high stilettos every day of fashion week. To be honest, it’s next to impossible to do so, especially if you’re going to lots of shows each day. You’re on your feet for hours and hours and standing on the concrete does a number on your feet even if you’re giving your feet a rest as much as possible. So your statement shoe doesn’t always have to be a heel but it’s got to be bold enough to get people to look down from your outfit to check out your shoes.
4. Vintage pieces / Unique Pieces: You don’t always have to be wearing the most current clothing to be noticed at fashion week. Some of the best looks I’ve seen at NYFW have had vintage pieces woven in with their outfits. This it the time to pull out the stops. You don’t have to look like a “fashion clown” (What I mean by this is putting together an outfit most people would never wear in public) to get noticed.
5. A killer pair of shades: I don’t think that I need to say much about this as it’s pretty self explanatory. A good pair of sunnies top off any outfit and when you’re walking out of the shows it’s always great to have the right shades on.
Shop my NYFW F/W Pulls: