So this NYFW in particular I seemed to find specific pieces that I then created outfits around. As soon as I saw this new in Endless Rose cotton minidress I knew I had to have it. It was going to be perfect for warmer weather but I was determined to style it for NYFW. Then I stumbled upon these fabulous silver metallic over the knee boots and knew I had the beginnings of a great winter outfit. So here’s my first styling tip for wearing a cotton minidress in winter: play around with proportions. Since a minidress is just that, mini, I love wearing them with OTK boots so that my legs are mostly covered. If you want extra warmth, I suggest wearing with sheer tights and tall socks.
Since the Pantone color of the year is living coral, I knew as soon as I saw this coral fuzzy coat that it had to come along with me. Even though I never wear coats in California, I couldn’t resist this cheerful color. My second styling tip for wearing a cotton minidress in winter: is to layer! This fuzzy coat was so warm and was almost the exact same length as my minidress. I did have a little skin popping out but I was definitely warm enough. Mind you, I saved this outfit for the second warmest day of the week so the weather wasn’t frigid like it was other days.
I wore my waist trainer under my dress to not only suck in my mom belly but also for the extra layer of warmth. I don’t think people think about it much, but even the thinnest layers do help your level of warmth overall.
5 Styling Tips for Wearing a Cotton Minidress in Winter
1. Wear tights so that your legs aren’t bare. Even the thinnest layer, like tights, is better than no layer at all. You’d be surprised how much warmer your legs will be wearing tights and tall socks.
2. Wear with OTK boots to minimize the amount of skin exposed. I’m all about wearing OTK boots with shorter pieces like miniskirts and minidresses. There’s something so chic about playing with the proportions like that plus you’re left with very little leg exposed.
3. Layer under a warm coat. Coats, trenches, or blazers are perfect for staying warm. Anything with a long sleeve so that your arms don’t get cold is perfect for taking a spring/summer dress and making it winter appropriate.
4. If the style is appropriate consider wearing a long sleeve shirt underneath. I love layering long sleeve shirts under my sleeveless dresses. This particular dress I’m wearing would not look good with a long sleeve tee underneath not only because of the sleeves but also the neckline.
5. Add winter accessories to your look like a beanie, scarf, and/or gloves. I definitely forgot to pack my winter accessories this season for NYFW. But definitely consider wintering up your look with a beanie, scarf, or gloves.
I hope you found these tips to be helpful! And I’d love to know, what are your favorite ways to wear a minidress in winter?
Shop the look:
As always, thank you so much for stopping by the blog!